Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Shikra and the Serpent Eagle!


I just got back from Bandhavgarh after a few beautiful days in this amazing Park. One evening, my Naturalist team decided to show me a new area of Panpatha Wildlife Sanctauary. As soon as we arrived there was action! This Shikra had impaled a White Throated Kingfisher in a nullah and the Kingfisher was calling in distress. The calls attracted a Crested Serpent Eagle, which came to perch about 2o feet away on a low tree. Maybe the Shikra got nervous and it let go it's possible prey, which flew away and perched on a fallen log about 20 metres away to recover. But the Eagle immediately pursued it and struck it with such impact that it was killed instantly!!

In the picture below, you can see the Kingfisher impaled on the talons of this amazing Eagle, as it flew away to a secluded spot to feed. I could not manage these grainy pictures..as the action happened too quickly!









3 comments:

Avinash Upadhyay said...

This was really fantastic. I am a regular visitor to kanha and bandhavgarh. I have seen a crested serpent eagle killing a lizard (you can read the whole story at http://avinashjee.sulekha.com/blog/post/2009/01/stories-from-the-indian-wild-14-a-kill-finally.htm). But i have never seen the kind of action you have described. The first pick was a feast to the eyes. And action often happens so quick it cannot be captured by the lens unless you get very lucky. But the description left me spellbound.
I have been reading your blog for quite3 some time now. However, I think, this is the first time I am commenting. In fact I have put your blog on my favorite list and go to it once every week.
Avinash

Sarath C R said...

Thanks Avinash! Yes, it was such an amazing Bird behaviour to watch!
And i agree i was very lucky to get even these grainy pictures!
Sarath

Unknown said...

ya though grainy, can feel the action pretty well enough.